Our Family Planning service is run from Sunderland Royal Hospital and provides completely free and confidential clinics and support to people of all ages.
Contraceptive services provide first line and re-issue of contraception and offers advice, support and information regarding any aspect of contraception. The following contraceptive methods are provided:
- Contraceptive pills, patches, injections and implants.
- IUD and IUS (Coils)
- Emergency Contraception (Morning After Pill).
- Condoms (Including C-Card)
Termination of Pregnancy Referral
If you are attending our Contraceptive Services to request a termination, you can be referred to the Termination of Pregnancy Assessment Clinic directly from Contraceptive Services.
Termination of Pregnancy Co-Ordinator - 0191 5699150
Pregnancy Options Advisor
You can also see our Pregnancy Options Advisors, who will provide you with the necessary help and support during your pregnancy decision making process.
Young Person’s Contraceptive Nurse
The Young Person's Contraceptive Nurse works closely with young people to provide contraceptive and sexual health advice and support. Links with schools and colleges to provide sexual health education and advice.
This service is for women with a range of problems including hormonal, medical gynecology and complex contraceptive issues.
- Pregnancy advice and testing
- Cervical Cytology (Smear Test)
- Asymptomatic STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection) screening including chlamydia
- Treatment for STIs
Those attending queue and wait sessions will be seen on a first come, first served basis. If the queue and wait session becomes full it will close before the advertised time. You can either attend the next queue and wait session or make an appointment. Appointment clinics may run alongside the queue and wait sessions and some people may be seen sooner than those waiting for a queue and wait session.
- Appointment Line 0191 5699966
For internal general enquiries please call 0191 5656256 ext 49119
The Family Planning (Contraceptive) service operates out of the following bases:
- Sunderland Royal Hospital (Chester Lodge) Kayll Road, Sunderland, SR4 7TP
- Bunnyhill Primary Care Centre Hylton lane, Sunderland SR5 4BWT
- Houghton Primary Care Centre Brinkburn Crescent, Houghton le Spring, DH4 5HB
- Victoria Road Health Centre Victoria Road, Washington, NE37 2PU
- Washington Primary Centre Princess Ann Park, Washington, NE38 7QZ
Sunderland Royal Hospital
Divisional General Manager - Jackie Butterworth
Directorate Manager - Janet Griffin
Clinical Director - Mr Craig Steele
Matron - Jacqui Dyson
Sexual Health Services Manager - Andrea Cairns