Sunderland Eye Infirmary is an important part of the City’s history. The hospital was founded almost two hundred years ago in 1836. It was originally located in the East End before moving to Crowtree Terrace and then onto Stockton Road in 1893. The current building on Queen Alexandra Road was built during the Second World War and before the creation of the NHS.



Today, the hospital serves a much wider population. Patients attend not only from Sunderland and the immediate surrounding areas of South Tyneside and Durham, but from across the whole of North East, North Cumbria and beyond.