There has never been a better time to consider a career with us at South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust. We are currently expanding our consultant and medical teams following the merger of City Hospitals Sunderland and South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trusts in April 2019.
We’re looking for the very best consultants and trust doctors to join our exceptional teams and help us progress with our ambitious plans to transform healthcare across South Tyneside and Sunderland as part of our Path to Excellence vision to create an NHS which is fit for the future.
You can find out more in our recruitment brochure here
View our vacancies here
Our clinical departments
Medicine (including general internal medicine, medical specialities and rehabilitation and older people’s medicine)
Surgery (including general surgery, urology, head and neck surgery, opthalmology and trauma and orthopaedics)
Urgent and emergency care
Perioperative and Critical Care (including ICCU, PREP, endoscopy, anaesthetics and more)
Clinical Support (including therapy services, pharmacy, diagnostic imaging and outpatients)
Family Care (including obstetrics and gynacology, paediatrics and child health)
Community Services (including integrated teams, 0-19 years, mental health, learning disability, palliative care and more)
Our latest developments
- State-of-the-art Critical Care Unit
- Chemotherapy / infusion treatment unit
- Dedicated urology and renal treatment centres
- Second cardiac catheterisation lab
- World-class adult and children’s emergency departments – the first to be paper free at the point of care
- Upgraded endoscopy unit and development of central scope cleaning department
- 3D Da Vinci robot used in a range of specialities
- Development of a new endovascular theatre – the first phase of our new specialist vascular unit
- £5.4 million Durham Treatment Centre
- Multi-disciplinary Sunderland recovery at home service, offering nursing visits, therapy and treatment 24/7
- Investment of more than £200,000 in cutting edge ultrasound technology
- £9million Haven Court – a centre for excellence integrated health and social care for elderly patients
- £1.4million surgical centre at South Tyneside District Hospital
Our clinicians are committed to delivering first-class care to all patients and are supported by an outstanding team of nurses, allied health professionals and operational management support.
We encourage learning and continuous improvement for all of our staff, so as well as developing your own career at STSFT you will have the opportunity to share your skills and best practice with colleagues across a range of specialities and our doctors in training.
In addition, we can offer you a competitive package of rewards and benefits, including:
- Flexible PAs
- Personal development budget
- Strong leadership
- Opportunities to shape and develop others
Research and innovation
We have a dedicated research and innovation team which works alongside colleagues across the Trust to help us create a positive culture for research and innovation and encourage our staff to have a voice and bring forward their ideas.
We understand the importance of being research active and creating opportunities for our clinical teams to think outside the box to improve patient care and outcomes. Our dedicated team manages the review, set up and delivery of research projects across the Trust. We deliver projects across a range of clinical areas from clinical trials of new drugs or interventions, to major international studies into health and disease.
We support bright ideas, from simple changes to an existing product, to a radical new invention and work with a range of organisations to help you develop and protect your ideas from conception to creation.
Find out more here
The local area
South Tyneside and Sunderland have an abundance of great schools to choose from and some lovely residential areas from Ashbrooke, High Barnes and Seaburn in Sunderland to Cleadon, East Boldon and Westoe Village in South Tyneside.
Further afield, there are lots of great places to live within easy commute of the Trust. Durham city centre has a lot to offer or you can find some beautiful villages like Wynyard on the outskirts. Gosforth and Jesmond are prime locations in Newcastle and of course the Northumberland countryside has a vast array of properties to suit all budgets.
According to the House Price Index for March 2019 (Gov.uk), the average house in the North East costs £123,046 compared to £463,283 in London meaning you can get a lot more for less in the region.