The colorectal team delivers a range of subspecialist colorectal surgery services across Sunderland Royal Hospital and South Tyneside District Hospital; pre and post op patients that may have surgery for bowel cancer, benign colorectal diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, rectal prolapse and functional bowel disorders. We have a team of 8 consultants, with one colorectal cancer MDT.
The unit is supported by 6 Specialist Nurses with HCA support and a dedicated enhanced recovery nurse.
Colorectal/Stoma Care Nurse Specialists
The aim of our specialist nurses is to provide physical, psychological and spiritual support for both men and women who have bowel disease. Using research-based practice and listening to patients we try to improve and move the service forward. Our role is:
- To work closely with the colo-rectal team in the provision of care to patients with colo-rectal disease including:
- To provide advice, information and support to patients and their families from diagnosis to review, at home and when on the ward.
- To act as key workers and provide continuity for patients, their families and carers throughout their treatment journey.
- To offer counselling/advice/teaching and support to any patients undergoing stoma formation, which includes community visits following discharge home.
- Ensure time, confidentiality and privacy to discuss issues such as body image and sexuality.
- To co-ordinate the input of other healthcare professionals.
- To provide or direct information, education, advice and support for patients, families and staff.
SRH Colorectal Nurses - 0191 565 6256 ext 47221
STDH Colorectal Nurses - 0191 203 2908
The colorectal ward is located on C-level in Sunderland Royal Hospital Ward C32. Our colorectal specialists are located in out-patients.
Divisional Director- Sheena Fish
Directorate Manager - Karen Green
Clinical Director - Neil Jennings
Matron - Denise Simpson
SRH Colorectal Nurses - Maralyn Boyd, Susan Rodda, Rosemary Jobling, Tamsin Collins
STDH Colorectal Nurses - Jane Barnes, Teresa Liddle
Ward Manager - Sarah Suddick