We are a team of specially trained nurses and physiotherapists. We have a specialist nurse for inpatients of the hospital, a specialist physiotherapist for community based care and have clinics based at the Moorlands Centre and Galleries Health Centre.
We see patients that have recently had a fall, or are at risk from falling or struggling with their mobility. We carry out a holistic assessment for falls or risk of falls including vestibular assessment for those with dizziness or balance problems.
These are some of the things we may arrange once we have seen patients:
- arrange a course of rehabilitation sessions
- ask colleagues from occupational therapy to give advice on making things easier at home
- provide walking aids or adjust the one they may already be using
- ask the GP to look at altering medications
- refer to Consultant Physicians for medical investigations
- ask them to follow up with opticians, podiatrists, or chiropodists
Clinics are held in the Moorlands Day Centre on the main hospital grounds. Residents of care homes will be assessed at home.
The Moorlands Day Centre is at South Tyneside District Hospital opposite the Outpatients department.
South Tyneside District Hospital
Community Falls Service
Galleries Health Centre
How can you contact us
Tel: (0191) 502 6810
Monday - Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm
Admin contact: Lynne Lowery
South Tyneside Community Falls Service
Dean Metz – Falls and Vestibular Specialist Physiotherapist
Sunderland Community Falls Service
Pam Vickers- Falls Lead Nurse