Our Occupational Therapists within our Hand Service work closely with Physiotherapists, Hand Practitioners and medical teans, to deliver a multi-disciplinary service for our patients with hand injuries/conditions or undergoing hand surgery.
The team is a hospital-based service and accepts referrals from Hand/Orthopaedic Consultant Surgeons for patients with specific conditions affecting the hand. The team can also:
- Provide custom-made thermoplastic hand splints for patients who have had surgery or an injury to their hand
- Complete assessments for splints
- Carry out hand function assessments
- Provide condition management advice in a variety of locations.
At Sunderland Royal Hospital we are proud to have a Specialist Occupational Therapist based in our Rheumatology service, accepting consultant and GP referrals for patients with conditions such as:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Sunderland Royal Hospital: Occupational Therapy Department, Entrance 8, Chester Wing.
South Tyneside Hospital Therapy Reception, Ingham Wing
- Our Sunderland Occupational Therapy Team are based in entrance 8, Rehabilitation at Sunderland Royal Hospital
- Our South Tyneside Occupational Therapy Team are based in the Occupational Therapy Department located in the Ingham Wing, South Tyneside District Hospital