Our role is to work in partnership with the child/young person, family, other health care professionals, education and social care.
To promote the health of the child, prevent disease, support with the individual complex health needs and support and maintain access to education. The team uses a multi-disciplinary approach by working with external agencies and fellow healthcare professionals, in order to meet the child/young person’s individual health needs. This is facilitated by:
- Providing specific health needs training and support to education staff.
- Contributing to the development of documentation such as education health care plans and individual health care plans.
- Providing home visits where needed.
- Supporting and assist other health professionals within the school environment.
- Providing specialist interventions including, Gastrostomy/NG tube care, Tracheostomy care and suctioning.
- Providing initial assessment of the child/young person who become unwell within Portland academy and Sunningdale school
- Transition support.
- Contributing to the safeguarding agenda.
The service operates Monday – Friday 08:30-16:30, excluding bank holidays and is not restricted to term time only. There is a Specialist School Nurse based within Sunningdale School and Portland Academy.
Advice and support to mainstream schools is also offered to Children and Young people with special educational needs with an associated health need and/or complex health need. Pupils of Sunningdale School and Portland Academy have open access to the service. The child/young person can self-refer or are referred by their family, education staff or other health professional. All other referrals can be made via telephone contact or written referral.
During Term Time:
Sunningdale - 0191 528044 0/ 07500571709 firstname.lastname@example.org
Portland - 03339991455 / 07500571624
0191 5656256 / 07500571709 / 07500571624
During Term Time:
Sunningdale School Portland Academy
Shaftoe Road Weymouth Road
SR34HA SR3 2NQ
Niall Quinn Children’s Centre
Sunderland Royal Hospital
Specialist School Nurse: Kristy Ramsey
Divisional General Manager: Jackie Butterworth
Directorate Manager: Derek Curry
Matron: Richard Allsop